Architectural monuments and complexes
1.The Architectural complex – the village of Shiroka Laka
It is one of the most preserved villages in the Sredni Rodopi, with particular houses as well as almost unspoiled streets. The houses are in groups of several ensembles: Zgurovski konak /with national significance/, Church ensemble, Charshiyska Street, Kupishteto and Karovski ensamble. Separate architectural monuments exist out of these ensembles: houses, bridges, churches and chapels. Ones of the first houses are these of cap. Nikola (1802) and Vladishkata house (1829) where is born the Exarch Stefan I Balgarski (Bulgarian). More significant monument in the village of Shiroka Laka is the church “The Assu” built during 1834 and is dedicated to The Plovdiv Metropolitan Nikifor. The church is a part of architectural ensemble composed of a bone-vault, which is original for the Rhodopes, a monastery school, a church tower and a two-story school.
2. It is declared more than 100 buildings in the town of Smolyan with merit of architectural monuments. They are grouped in several ensembles: The Architectural complex in Dolno Raykovo, Tibolska mahala (quarter) in Dolno Raykovo, The architectural ensemble of the Bulgarian Revival Period in Ustovo quarter. There are some single artistic monuments among which are Pangalovata house /with national significance/, Kelevska house, Hadzhichonevata house, Vidorovskata house, Alibeev konak (town-hall) /with national significance/ Cheshitska mahala (quarter), Cheshitska fountain, churches “Holy Virgin”, basilicas with a nave and two aisles “St. Nikola”, “St. Nedelya” and “St. Spirit” which is the only one with wooden church tower in this region, roman and other ancient bridges, an old school which is a monument of educational achievement in the Sredni Rodopi, etc…
3. The Architectural complex “Agushev Konak”, located in the village of Mogilitsa, is one of the biggest and the most interested feudal residential ensembles with the national significance in the Rhodopes. It is restored. It consists of two residential and several farm buildings. The complex is built during the period of 18520-1842. It has the characteristics of a feudal aristocratic residence as well as typical Rhodopean elements.
4. At the moment it is working on the project “Restitution of the crafts` bazaar in Ustovo quarter – Smolyan, which is financed by the programme PLEDGE. It is expected the crafts` bazaar to become an original ethnographic museum and an attractive tourist center.
1. The Church ensemble “St. Anastasiy”- built in 1834 in the town of Chepelare. It consists of a temple, a two-storey bone-vault with a chapel, a two-storey school and a church tower.
2. The Architectural-artistic monument Uzunska house, located in the town of Chepelare, built in 1870, has rich pictorial ornaments, typical wall-paintings, planking and appliquéd wooden-plastic details.
1. Several architectural complexes with all together 108 units of area. The kernel in Dinko Cholaka /65 units of area/ covers the main spot. There was accomplished whole research, planning on NIMC. It is worked out town-planning, which has the status of architectural reserve.
Other kernel is the Church-school ensemble. In the restored school was opened a permanent exhibition “Study achievement in the Sredni Rodopi”. Close to it is located the old church built in 1834 with an exhibited monastery school.
Interesting are the architectural complexes, located in quarters of “Malka reka” (Small river) and Tabahanata and the historical part next to the new center of the town, where are located ten houses with several farm buildings and valid workshops. Important are the Nashevskata house, where the liberator of the town – general Cheryavin stayed at during 1878 and Vuntsovata water-mill, which is a monument of the culture since XIX c.
2. The church “St George” in the town of Zlatograd, built in 1871.